Release Notes for Terracotta 3.3 (Esperance) Beta
1. Download the beta build. If you haven’t already, you will need to sign-up to get the download location. Sign-up here: http://www.terracotta.org/beta/esperance-beta
NOTE: This beta is based around the enterprise kit. Users wishing to evaluate the open source kit should work with the nightly builds: http://download.terracotta.org/rss/trunk.rss
For the enterprise beta version, the accompanying trial license key “product.key” should be downloaded and installed in the Terracotta directory.
2. Review the new beta documentation: http://www.terracotta.org/documentation/betadocs
1. Scale/Performance Improvements (Enterprise Feature)
Terracotta 3.3 Enterprise Edition includes a new storage strategy (an optional mode configured per cache - enabled with a new XML attribute of the
- a large # of entries (depending on the use case - up to 100M items)
- and/or a large # of nodes (maintaining linear scale for high write throughput rate use-cases, even with large numbers - eg >10 - of L1s)
This storage mode works with an optional client side cache (off by default), which has the added benefit of meaning that the memory required on the client is fixed - making it easy to tune.
2. Developer Console Enhancements
- Reorganization of tree hierarchy to simplify usage for new users
- Improved and Simplified Ehcache panel
- Addition of panels for Sessions and Quartz
3. RAAS based authentication to permit access control via LDAP etc to Developer Console and Ops Console (Enterprise Feature)
4. Cluster Configuration Simplification
- Automatic selection of sensible defaults (-n usage is now optional in most cases, port selection is automatic)
5. New Toolkit APIs
The client libraries have been refactored so that now when clustering each of the core use cases a common shared jar is required:
- Web Sessions support on Websphere 6.1 and 7.0
Available in Beta2
- Cluster Configuration Simplification - adding passives via Ops Console (Enterprise Feature)
- Operational Simplicity - Operational event monitoring - for cluster management, control and behavior analysis. Delivered via an Events Console and JMX API (Enterprise Feature)
- Operational Simplicity - Simplified configuration of heartbeat and reconnect though template sets
Summary of Changes
Expected Updates and Scheduled Bug Fixes
Known Open Issues
Note: The beta is focused on ‘Express’ usage, rather than ‘Custom’ (DSO) usage of the Terracotta Platform. Custom DSO users who require specific TIMs compatible with the beta and may get unpredictable results due the fact that the beta is built with SNAPSHOT TIMs. Please contact us with details if you want to try any specific component in DSO mode.
- CDV-1480 If non portable type which is not in the api is added, the map from the toolkit throws a TCNonPortableObjectException.
- QTZ-51 org.quartz.scheduler.instanceId = AUTO must be set to have Quartz panel show in Terracotta Developer Console
Please email any questions you have regarding the beta to pm