1. Download the beta build. If you haven't already, you will need to sign-up to get the download location. Sign-up here: http://www.terracotta.org/beta/esperance-beta
NOTE: This beta is based around the enterprise kit. Users wishing to evaluate the open source kit should work with the nightly builds: http://download.terracotta.org/rss/trunk.rss
For the enterprise beta version, the accompanying trial license key "product.key" should be downloaded and installed in the Terracotta directory.
2. Review the new beta documentation: http://www.terracotta.org/documentation/betadocs
1. Scale/Performance Improvements (Enterprise Feature)
Terracotta 3.3 Enterprise Edition includes a new storage strategy (an optional mode configured per cache - enabled with a new XML attribute of the <terracotta> subtag - storageStrategy="DCV2"), which when selected is designed to support caches with:
This storage mode works with an optional client side cache (off by default), which has the added benefit of meaning that the memory required on the client is fixed - making it easy to tune.
2. Developer Console Enhancements
3. RAAS based authentication to permit access control via LDAP etc to Developer Console and Ops Console (Enterprise Feature)
4. Cluster Configuration Simplification
5. New Toolkit APIs
The client libraries have been refactored so that now when clustering each of the core use cases a common shared jar is required:
This has several advantages - firstly it reduces the number of L1-L2 socket connections from applications that use multiple client types (Ehcache, Sessions etc) and in such cases also reduces permgen heap usage.
Additionally the common library contains a series of useful constructs that can be used within user applications. These include concurrent maps, locks, counters, queues, an evictor etc. For an introduction, see http://dsoguy.blogspot.com/2010/06/couple-minutes-with-some-toolkit.html .
in the 2.1.1 EHC Jira Project
in the 3.3.0 CDV Jira Project
Note: The beta is focused on 'Express' usage, rather than 'Custom' (DSO) usage of the Terracotta Platform. Custom DSO users who require specific TIMs compatible with the beta and may get unpredictable results due the fact that the beta is built with SNAPSHOT TIMs. Please contact us with details if you want to try any specific component in DSO mode.
Please email any questions you have regarding the beta to pm <at> terracotta.org